Monday, May 23, 2011

the past 30 hours... what a ride!

Probably the longest 30 hours of my life but some of the best i have ever had. I had written about my train ride and man what a ride it was. i was on that thing for 30 hours. I had never been on a train before and i mean why not make my first experience a good one right? Trains are impossible to sleep on if you are taller than 3 ft, the food is ok but totally over-priced, but i will say that the scenery and experience is incredible!

We will start where my last blog left off. I ended up staying with Ashley and her roommate Kendra. They were sooo awesome. Ashley worked so kendra and i went to the store and got a bunch of stuff to make dinner. It was delicious! We had grilled tri tip, pasta salad, and grilled veggies... It was sooo good. After dinner i laid there pretty mindlessly, seeing how i had been up since 430 in the morning. Kendra kinda played on her computer while i flipped thru songs on my iPod in the floor. I needed the down time. After laying there for a bit ashley got home from work around like 930-945. She came in ready to go out adn iw as like blah. haha. Although i gave in and went out anyways thinking that i could sleep on the train (suprisingly difficult to do). We ended up at their favourite bar called like the golden bear i think. (bear is the california state animal and the bar is on the corner of 24th and K st... get it 24K gold?!) We had a good time though. I made fun of people the whole time, and by people i mean these meat headed dudes who were dressed up like macho man... too soon anyone?

We hit the hay pretty early saturday night, i was exhausted for sure. Also something cool is we rode our bikes to the bar... i had never done that before. Ashley woke me up about 845 sunday morning. I slept on her living room floor. it was awesome. She had the most comfortable blanket i had ever laid under. GLORIOUS! I get to the train station to kinda check in and get my bike put on the train and that was more of a hassle than i thought it would be.

I got there adn they told me to take my pedals off... well i didn't have a wrench. I asked everyone at the train station and not a single person was helpful. I called Ashley, the girl i stayed with, and she went to a loacl bike shop for me. it was sooo awesome. She found out if it was open, which it was. It's quite unheard of for a bike shop to be open on a sunday. I ended up booking it down to the bike shop. it was about 10 blocks away and i had 20 minutes to be back at the train station. Luckily i made it... with about 3 minutes to spare. ha.

I bored the train and find a seat. I had 2 seats to myself which was awesome. I loved it. Behind me was Hailey (she had 2 seats), across from her was her friend Bonnie (also had 2 seats), and i didn't meet hime right away but in front of bonnie and across from me was chris! We ended up sitting and talking for about 2 horus to start the train ride off. it was so rad. Such great people. We all had so much to say and we really just had fun. I don't know how much fun i woulda had if i hadn't have met them.

24 horus into the train ride all my friends got off. Chris got off at 3AM this morning, and Bonnie and Hailey got off at noon today. I was alone. It was awesome. I hade a lot of time to think and listen to my iPod which was great. Being away from home has been extremely difficult. I have had some extremely lonely days and i have had some really good days. I don't have many friends out here, which is expected when you are 3000 miles from home.

I got to Denver tonight and my sister and i went to Chipoltle and it was delicious. She bought me a great meal... i was starving. I hadn't eaten today except for a couple clementines and a cliff bar (train food isn't too great and extremely over-priced). So i was pretty hungry. But ya it's been awesome to get to hangout with my sister. She's rad. I am here for two weeks so if you are in Denver and wanna kick it... let me know! Also i am super stoked my friend Emily from MTSU is from just south of Denver so i i think at some point she and i will get to do something this week. I am going to give my knee a go here in a few days. It's been 14 days since i have really ridden so we will see what happens. should be an interesting time. Doc said 14days... so imma give it 16. haha.

1 comment:

  1. glad you made it safely! i'm really envious you're getting to see so much of the west. i've barely been further than texas! enjoy the time off and i hope your knee keeps healing. <3 much love!

    ReplyDelete