Friday, May 13, 2011

Days 2 & 3- interesting couple of days.

As i sit here and type this i am in a room with about 10 people, I met each of them within the last 36 hours. We have played disc golf twice, eaten pizza twice, and hung out constantly. Been a glorious time. Even met a new friend as i started this blog. It's been an interesting couple of days.

Since posting my last blog about my knee and the rides, a lot has happened. It's been on a DL for the most part and i have only told a couple of people, but i hurt my knee day 1 of the ride. It's been pretty bad. It takes a lot for me to admit being hurt but i spent all morning today at the hospital. Not fun honestly. I spent all night last night being frustrated with myself and all morning just being pissed at all the time i had spent on the trip and the thought it could be shut down for me, i was def bummed and still am a bit. The doctor told me that i couldn't have prevented it and i couldn't do anything to fix it. So that's the bummer.

I get to the doctor's office and every possibility was going thru my head. It was killing me. I go back and he does a few tests with moving my leg around, and then he kinda moves my other knee around and wow... It hurt really bad. I told him to stop at one point. ha. Then he sends me back to get x-rays. That was fun for sure. (hopefully you can read the sarcasm)!

The doctor sits me down at the end of everything and tells me not great news but not the worst news. I have to take 9-14 days off of riding. Everything in my knee is inflamed and am on a steroid of some sort. It hurts but imma make it. I have spent the past 24 hours really trying to figure out what i am going to do and tonight i kinda nailed it down. I am going to snag a train (since they have bike racks on them) to denver within the next week and a half, might even go multi city and spend a day somewhere else too). Plus if i go to Denver i can hangout with my sister and future brother in law for a week or so which would be hella rad.

Daniel is leaving in the morning and forging on with out me. He is gonna meet me in Denver where i will continue the journey after my knee heals up. (hoping it does, if not, Cortisone injections might be next on the list of things to do.) I have been super frustrated and i have been super sad with this whole thing but i have decided my plan isn't the best one so i am stickin it out and living it up.

Thanks for all your encouragement and texts and facebook messages. Leave comments if you want. This trip has already been the trip of a life time. Thanks also to Amy Chapman and her Husband John for letting up stay at their house and they cooked us an incredible dinner and to the people of HQ (janae, charlotte, and taylor included) for taking Dan and i Disc Golfing 2 days in a row.

4 comments:

  1. Aww I'm sorry. Everything will work out though. Your knee will get better and you will finish out your trip! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it! Hoping for the best with your knee, bro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw, fletch, so sorry about your knee! what a rocky start but i really hope you stick it out and finish the ride. even though you miss home, this is an experience you'll never forget. sending you nothing but love and good vibes! get better. xxm

    ReplyDelete
  4. The universe has weird ways of working things out for us, and having our best interest in mind.
    Maybe you will meet your future wife on some of the days you can't ride. Maybe you will end up in a place and save someones life. Or soul.

    You just never know. I am sorry to read about your rough start, but I am confident the universe has a path for you that you may not know about, and it will be better than anything you could have planned or conjured up yourself.
    Keep your chin up- have fun and keep the pics coming! <3 YOU!

    ReplyDelete